Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Tacked On Look

In Portland we see a lot of contemporary or cubist architecture where boxes seem to be attached to the sides, I suspect, to provide balconies:


Designed by Holst Architecture
Now, Architectural Record has an example of a 12 story square building with local architecture (s)tacked on.


WAM Architecten's hotel in Zaandam, the Netherlands's revitalized center incorporates the iconic wooden houses of the region. Photo: © Roel Backaert
What do you think?

Bev & Mike
Landfair Furniture + Design gallery
Become Our Fan on Facebook

3 comments:

Mozeaik said...

I really like the building in the first picture. It simple, slick and eye catching. Surprisingly I like the hotel in the second picture too. I think the architect chose the right combination of colors. With everything that is going on (all the details and windows) it was a wise choice to pick those colors, it accentuate the details without adding to it and making it chaotic.

Mike Landfair said...

Mozeaik, you didn't design or build either building did you? Just kidding. I appreciate your input.

Mozeaik said...

I wish I had the talent to design such beautiful and interesting buildings :)